søndag 23. oktober 2011

Atlantic Submarine Dive, Beach Party, and more!


As you read earlier, my last week was booked with several exciting events. I can’t write about all of them, but I just have to tell you about some of my experiences!
On Monday morning a bus came and picked me up at the hotel. The drive went to a harbor, where a little submarine was waiting for the passengers to go on board. The submarine had a grey-blue color, and big windows at each place. It took us down to 40 meters, and we could see the underwater world so clear, we could see thousands of colorful fishes, several sharks of all kinds and some turtles showed themselves too. But the best thing of all: we could do all that without getting wet! Later that day, when I was back from the submarine tour, I went to the Harbour Lights Beach Party. This is a real Caribbean party, and I couldn’t imagine not attending on this event while I was in the Caribbean. During the party, it was served a “beach barbeque”, they arranged two Caribbean shows, and played live music all night long.

While I spend my time here on Barbados, I have learned very much about the culture and the social conditions. The Barbadian people are very nice, and they like getting visitors from other parts of the world. I think that they like to show their country, and show what they values and attractions are. It is a wonderful country, and it has so much to give. Not just all of the cultural events that I have been reporting about in the last entries, but also the inhabitants and the whole atmosphere in the country makes the stay on the island so gorgeous and unforgettable. The Barbadians eat very much fish and seafood (that causes their localization and their limited access to large amounts of other food like meat), so during my stay I have tasted much “Caribbean style” seafood and I am sure that I will keep them in my mind for a long time.
I almost forgot to tell you, but I got to see the family from the world star Rihanna, two days ago. Rihanna was born on the island, and grew up here too. Sometimes she even spends her holidays here, but I didn’t get to see her during my stay.
The last thing I want to tell you, before I leave this amazing place, is the meaning of the Barbadian flag.
The flag consists of three bands (triband), two marine - blue bands on each side and one golden band in the middle of the flag. In the middle of the golden band, we can see the upper part of a trident (which also is called “the broken trident”).
The two blue bands symbolize the ocean, while the golden band symbolizes the sand on the island. The trident is taken from the old Barbadian flag (the colonial badge). The old flag shows Britannia holding a trident. The broken trident is therefore a symbol for the symbolic break of the colony from Britannia. The three points of the trident, symbolizes the three principles of democracy (government of, for, and by the people).
The flag was designed by a teacher (Grantley Prescod), and during an island – wide contest, the Barbadian people picked this flag from around 1000 other ones.

The Atlantic Submarine :
 One of the Caribbean shows on the beach party:

The Berwind wreck:

The flag of Barbados:

Well, now I will pack my luggage and enjoy the last hours on the island, before the bus takes me to the airport and my plain leaves this paradise...

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar